About Venture For America
We’re creating an accessible and inclusive future of entrepreneurship in America. We bring this vision to life with a two-year Fellowship for recent college graduates interested in entrepreneurship and creating impact in American cities. Fellows apply for jobs within the innovation economy – at organizations ranging from startups and high-growth companies to entrepreneurial support organizations, accelerators and venture capital firms – where they work as full-time, salaried employees in one of VFA’s 13 cities. They also become part of a community of like-minded individuals united by shared values and bonded in a passion for entrepreneurship.
The Fellowship officially kicks off at Training Camp where Fellows are immersed in curated problem solving and community building with peers. Through VFA programming, on-the-job learning, and an in-city experience, they hone adaptive skills critical to a successful career in entrepreneurial roles. Throughout the Fellowship and after, VFA provides opportunities for coaching, capital, and connections to help Fellows develop an entrepreneurial mindset while leading, growing, and launching companies.
Why Venture For America?
America needs more entrepreneurs, innovators, problem solvers, and creative thinkers. Entrepreneurs and startup leaders shape the future of our economic landscape, spur innovation, and create change. We support the growth of diverse ecosystems across American cities by developing entrepreneurial talent and providing access through programs, networks, and resources.
What you can expect from our Fellowship:
- An opportunity to grow professionally by working full-time at a VFA-sourced employer partner and contributing to the growth of that company
- Coaching and support to find a job role in our network
- Two multi-day in-person professional development and community building programs with your entire cohort, Training Camp and Redux, as well as opportunities to participate in or lead programs that will help you develop an entrepreneurial mindset including Ideation Sessions, Validation Challenges and Side-Project-a-Thon
- Connections to local events and leaders within our entrepreneurial ecosystems, including ongoing engagements with City Directors, and regular Fellow-led events and activities
- Those who want to launch or scale their business will have access to a suite of Founder-specific programming and potential investment based upon their business stage. Consistent coaching and feedback is a part of every entrepreneurial program or via 1:1 work with the Vice President of Venture Growth
- Lifelong access to a growing community of more than 1,600 Fellows, Founders and Alumni
Compensation and Benefits:
- Full salary and benefits are provided by the companies in our network. The average salary for 2022 Fellows was $55,000, with more than 30% receiving equity options. Fellows are full-time employees of our employer partners and, as such, salary and benefits are dependent on the job a Fellow secures through our network. We see considerable growth from Fellows once the Fellowship concludes with 38% of our Alumni making more than $100,000
- Employer partners are required to provide health insurance as part of their benefits package or provide a stipend to secure healthcare. 80% of 2022 Fellows received full health care benefits, and those provided a stipend averaged $350 a month
- Financial assistance may be available as needed for relocation through Venture For America or the Company Partner
Where We Work and Live:
After receiving your offer, you’ll work with our Team in the spring of 2024 to secure a full-time role with a company in our network in the cities below.
- Kansas City
- New Orleans
- San Antonio
- St. Louis
Start dates are determined between the Fellow and their employer. Some Fellows may begin working as early as June 2024 and some may not start until Fall of 2024. The majority of our Fellows will start their new jobs after Training Camp in August 2024.
Fellow and Alumni communities across our cities range in size. In some cities those communities are 10 to20 strong, and others are larger with more than 50 Fellows and Alumni. There are benefits and opportunities to both sizes and you can ultimately decide what size community is most appealing to you.
Our Company Partners provide a range of flexibility in work location. For roles that allow remote or hybrid work arrangements, we require Fellows to live in the city of their company headquarters or a city in which the company has a built out presence. Of the 2022 Class placements:
- 41% of Fellows were hybrid
- 33% were fully in-person
- 9% were up to the employee
- 18% were fully remote
- You are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or DACA recipient
- You are early in your career (completed your undergraduate degree in the last three years) or will complete your undergraduate degree by June 2024. Exceptions can be made to this criteria for certain circumstances
- You are available to work full time beginning in the summer of 2024
- You are available to attend our in-person summer professional development Training Camp in July (tentatively scheduled from July 15-24) in Detroit. Room and board will be covered by Venture For America and travel assistance through reimbursement may be provided as needed
- Summer Deadline: Aug. 29, 2023. Offers extended Oct. 10
- Early Fall Deadline: Oct. 10, 2023. Offers extended Nov. 20, 2023
- Final Fall Deadline: Dec. 1, 2023. Offers extended Jan. 23, 2024
- Early Winter Deadline: Jan. 29, 2024. Offers extended March 11, 2024
- Final Winter Deadline: March 11, 2024. Offers extended April 22, 2024
- Apply online!
What We Look For:
- You are interested in and/or have experience with entrepreneurship, innovation, creative thinking and problem solving
- You want to work at a startup and/or start your own business, or have done so already, and are flexible with the industry, role or city you work in
- You have demonstrated an ability to make an impact in the past through reaching goals in work, extracurriculars, academics, or starting your own side project or business
- You are community oriented and eager to be in community and make an impact in the VFA and entrepreneurship community in one of the 13 cities where we operate
- You are intellectually curious, solutions oriented, a self-starter and achievement oriented
- You are self-aware, resilient, and adaptable
- You love learning, feedback, and have demonstrated strong ability to work on a team